Wednesday, October 21, 2009

5am: Reckoning Time

I took Bad Bunni's advice and shot Professor Hotness an email. (I would've gone in during office hours for some face to face interaction. However, in my two semesters dealing with the man, I've discovered trying to catch him is like trying to make the sun come out at midnight.) He got back to me in record time. Unfortunately, Professor Hotness is unbelievably intelligent. He does his best. He knows that none of his students are on his level. This is reflected in his grading. (Actually, maybe it's the TA's grading. Whatev.) He gave me kudos, but suggested I narrow down my topic. Last semester's research paper was easy: Nina Simone, music, reflection of the Civil Rights Movement. This semester? He wants me to elaborate on the reasons that life was different for freedmen in New Orleans than in other sections of the antebellum South. This sounds easy, but dealing with limited resources, I was having trouble finding sources for the broad topic.

On to class two: Asian Philosphy is freaking nuts. I understand a little better than other classmates. I've got a test in that tomorrow since I decided that school was unimportant last week.

Oklahoma Authors is tolerable. I would've picked different authors to study, but I am not teaching the class. TM hooked us up on a meet and greet with S.E. Hinton. That was sweet. I don't think that The Outsiders is really literary genius, but she was great. The super cool thing was that Mrs. Hinton doesn't typically do public appearances. I'm not sure why because she was charming and witty. It was honestly a pleasure to meet her. I'm going to watch Rumblefish and see how I feel about that one. I am just a little sad that I never had a chance to meet late Oklahoma authors such as John Hope Franklin and Ralph Ellison.

Juvenile Delinquency makes me want to hit someone...HARD. I've got plenty of pent-up aggression to write about. You would think that an internet class would save you the trouble of dealing with complete idiots. Not so much. I hate posting discussions. It just shows how horribly Oklahoma high schools have failed. Hell, I have no idea how I've made as far as I have. I can barely write a proper sentence.

I've decided that win or lose, I've got to start trying harder. I can't continue skating by with low As and high Bs in every class. This shit is getting hectic. If I plan on being a professional anything, I need to start writing like one.

I'm getting old. I have grown tired of taking classes with 18 and 19 year olds. I have considered not taking classes this summer. Unfortunately, that will push me back to a 2011 graduation date. I don't know that I can handle Oklahoma for two more years. This place is driving me completely insane.

All GRE and LSAT studies are going to have to wait until Winter break. On top of that, I've got to start working on my prose (or whatever they're calling it) to submit to these schools. Two 15 page short pieces for University of Texas, multiple short pieces for Louisiana State, and who knows what NYU wants?! I can never get a hold of them to find out. I figure that out of three schools, someone will think I am brilliant. Judging by the quality of work submitted by others in Genre, it really can't be that hard.

Clay has made me a character in his book. It is too bad that he didn't take some creative license with my character. I'll forever be trapped on paper in this shitty job. I hoped that after spending as much time with him as I have recently, he could come up with something better than that. Meh, I guess I should be thankful I'm in the book at all. I think he's submitting it for publishing sometime mid-2010. I wish him luck. Surely there are others out there that will appreciate his dry humor as I do.

This is all over the place because that's how I've felt the past two weeks. I'm here, I'm there. I can't find myself in anything at the moment. That's not a bad thing, just makes it hard to finish anything. Alright, I'm out. Too tired to write anything else this morning.

3 comments:

Bad Bunni said...

Well, I'm sorry my advice seems not to have helped. And part of being very intelligent is about helping other people, not making them feel like they can't ever be enough. I once dated a scientist getting his PhD. (I edited his thesis. He is Dr. Carlson because of me-of course he vanished immediately after-dated a year, edited his thesis, and didn't even get a "it's not you it's me" phone call.) But he used to say that if you can't explain what you are talking about to a 6 year old, you aren't as smart as you think you are. You just MAKE people feel stupid by using unnec. big words.

Not always true, but something to keep in mind.

jaded_beauty said...

Your advice helped! I ended up catching him yesterday in the commons and he came up with three new ideas for me to try. So I'm good.

Bad Bunni said...

I'm glad! Generally talking to a prof. helps, if for no other reason, he/she knows you are putting in extra effort and that means a lot to most of us.